GulfCoastTundras.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gulf Coast Tundras

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
THIS SITE WILL BE SHUT DOWN AS OF FEB 28TH 2010!  PLEASE VISIT THE NEW SITE AT WWW.GULFCOASTTUNDRAS.COM
Latest topics
» Out with the OLD...and IN with the NEW!!
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/13/2010, 7:43 am by TCTundra

» * Want To SALE My 20" Platinum W/Bridgestone Dueler TIRES Or Trade For Look*
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/13/2010, 12:19 am by Nicks Silver Bueaty

» Toyota Recalls
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/12/2010, 8:36 pm by toms516

» AC Controls Dash light LED Swap
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/12/2010, 12:11 pm by TX_Ros

» MANLY GRILL !
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/12/2010, 12:42 am by gpend5.7sport

» Leather
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/12/2010, 12:33 am by gpend5.7sport

» im so easily pleased ( thats what she said )
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/12/2010, 12:31 am by gpend5.7sport

» MOD Meet.
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/11/2010, 11:08 pm by TX_Ros

» Update on vBulletin upgrade
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty2/11/2010, 11:00 pm by TX_Ros

Statistics
We have 106 registered users
The newest registered user is oldscud

Our users have posted a total of 8747 messages in 525 subjects
Top posters
TXTee
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension I_vote_lcapSuspension lifts and Long travel suspension I_voting_barSuspension lifts and Long travel suspension I_vote_rcap 
Beezwax
Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension I_vote_lcapSuspension lifts and Long travel suspension I_voting_barSuspension lifts and Long travel suspension I_vote_rcap 
Shawn
gpend5.7sport
TCTundra
TX_Ros
cadams1224
wacked
EastTX Tank
zbeastburn
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 374 on 10/13/2021, 7:03 am

Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
White Puff
White Puff
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PROPS : 0

Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Vide
PostSubject: Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension   Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty11/14/2009, 2:36 pm

Just woke up. Bored... I'll finish eventually. Thought I had the option to save this.

Lift can be achieved by various ways with different methods. Most common methods are bracket drops and spacers.

Bracket drops are pretty self explanatory. They lower the front suspension brackets with little to no change in steering geometry nor gain in suspension travel. Some companies have a coilover option to replace the spacer for the struts. The added benefits of a coilover is adjustability in height, dampening and rebound, and spring rate for better handling.

Leveling kits consist of strut spacers to "lift" the front of the truck and may include a small lift block for the rear. Some companies include new upper control arms to provide more clearance to prevent hitting the strut during suspension cycle. Be advise, with spacer kits you are losing down travel for height.

If you have a spacer kit or a suspension lift package that uses a spacer, be advise hard wheeling and jumps will destroy your shocks as your shocks are bottoming out! This can be fixed by either two options: Install/fabricate bump stop extensions or true coilovers. I'm not sure if the lift kits provide extensions or note this problem so it is up to you to be educated about what you are doing to your truck. Your life and others are on the line!

Long travel kits are used predominantly in desert/cross country racing. Increased suspension travel is obtained with the use of longer control arms which allow the suspension to droop farther down. Coilover shocks is needed for this setup to finetune the dampening and rebound as the vehicle travels at high rates of speed across unlevel terrain. Here is a video provided so you can see the difference between a long travel system setup properly vs. a stock setup...can't find it right now.

Solid Axle Conversion
$$$$ Mucho money involved. Involves cutting off IFS bracketry, suitable front axle donor preferably a Dana 60, option of using Leaf springs or link suspension with use of coils or coilovers. Requires lots of fabbing and know how. All custom job here.

Bracket drop lift:

• 6" Procomp
  • 6" & 4.5" Rough Country
  • 6" Fabtech
  • 6" Skyjacker
  • 7" & 4.5" BDS
  • 10-12" Bulletproof
Leveling Kits: Many to choose from. Choose one that you want.

Long Travel suspension:

• Camburg
  • Chaos Fab
  • Pure Performance
  • PRG (Prerunner Greg)

Last edited by White Puff on 12/2/2009, 3:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://tnt4x4club.com
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PROPS : 12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension   Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty11/14/2009, 4:33 pm

Nice write up so far, Puff. Very informative for a person trying to understand some differences without going to each manufacturer's site in addition to what to consider based on the intended usage.
Back to top Go down
White Puff
White Puff
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PROPS : 0

PostSubject: Re: Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension   Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty12/2/2009, 1:21 am

Added an important info that I feel I should address since I'm here.
Back to top Go down
http://tnt4x4club.com

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension   Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension Empty

Back to top Go down

Suspension lifts and Long travel suspension

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GulfCoastTundras.com :: MODIFICATIONS :: SUSPENSION MODS -