GulfCoastTundras.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gulf Coast Tundras

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
THIS SITE WILL BE SHUT DOWN AS OF FEB 28TH 2010!  PLEASE VISIT THE NEW SITE AT WWW.GULFCOASTTUNDRAS.COM
Latest topics
» Out with the OLD...and IN with the NEW!!
Another tire&rotation Empty2/13/2010, 7:43 am by TCTundra

» * Want To SALE My 20" Platinum W/Bridgestone Dueler TIRES Or Trade For Look*
Another tire&rotation Empty2/13/2010, 12:19 am by Nicks Silver Bueaty

» Toyota Recalls
Another tire&rotation Empty2/12/2010, 8:36 pm by toms516

» AC Controls Dash light LED Swap
Another tire&rotation Empty2/12/2010, 12:11 pm by TX_Ros

» MANLY GRILL !
Another tire&rotation Empty2/12/2010, 12:42 am by gpend5.7sport

» Leather
Another tire&rotation Empty2/12/2010, 12:33 am by gpend5.7sport

» im so easily pleased ( thats what she said )
Another tire&rotation Empty2/12/2010, 12:31 am by gpend5.7sport

» MOD Meet.
Another tire&rotation Empty2/11/2010, 11:08 pm by TX_Ros

» Update on vBulletin upgrade
Another tire&rotation Empty2/11/2010, 11:00 pm by TX_Ros

Statistics
We have 106 registered users
The newest registered user is oldscud

Our users have posted a total of 8747 messages in 525 subjects
Top posters
TXTee
Another tire&rotation I_vote_lcapAnother tire&rotation I_voting_barAnother tire&rotation I_vote_rcap 
Beezwax
Another tire&rotation I_vote_lcapAnother tire&rotation I_voting_barAnother tire&rotation I_vote_rcap 
Shawn
gpend5.7sport
TCTundra
TX_Ros
cadams1224
wacked
EastTX Tank
zbeastburn
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 374 on 10/13/2021, 7:03 am

Another tire&rotation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
dmonge90
dmonge90

PROPS : 1

Another tire&rotation Vide
PostSubject: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/11/2009, 2:11 am

So its been about 5000miles and today I went to discount to get my tires rotated &balanced.
I hoped everything, would be ok, but no. My front tires were wearing
pretty badly on the outside before the rotation, so that was a big
reason why I went. But after leaving discount I could feel a pretty
good shimmy at 0-60. and it pulled to the right a bit(but that may of
been the wind and the road.

I watched them do the whole and can say its no there fault..don't know what though

any recommendations or advice to get rid of the shimmy, and the
horrible wearing of the outside part of the tire? maybe some of you
fellow cooper zeon owners..

I could post pics tomorrow if people would want them
Back to top Go down
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PROPS : 12

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/11/2009, 2:40 am

Driving habits? Tire brand? Machine not calibrated properly? Not inflating to proper PSI and checking daily? The shimmy part just sucks...that does sound like an issue with the balancing.
Back to top Go down
wacked
wacked
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PROPS : 7

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/11/2009, 10:22 am

Shimmy could be over torqued lug nuts, our trucks seem very sensitive to this. As far as the tire wear I have similar wear on my factory Dunlops 53K that could be an alignment issue.
Back to top Go down
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/11/2009, 11:48 am

wacked wrote:
Shimmy could be over torqued lug nuts, our trucks seem very sensitive to this. As far as the tire wear I have similar wear on my factory Dunlops 53K that could be an alignment issue.

Thx for the insight on the lugs.
Back to top Go down
wacked
wacked
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/11/2009, 12:26 pm

No problem Tee, I noticed this because I have only seen the tire rotation monkeys use the correct procedure a couple of times when rotating my tires and it is when they do it right i get no shimmy.
Back to top Go down
Discount Tire
Discount Tire
GCT SPONSOR
GCT SPONSOR

PROPS : 2

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/11/2009, 4:47 pm

Can you post some pictures of the tire wear?
Back to top Go down
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
dmonge90
dmonge90

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/12/2009, 3:04 am

yeahi can, might not be for a day or two cause of work but i'll do it as fast as I can
Back to top Go down
TCTundra
TCTundra
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/12/2009, 7:52 pm

It's about time for me to rotate mine as well. I just hit 6000 miles on my truck (4500 on the Toyo tires).
Back to top Go down
http://tcpain.websitetoolbox.com/

jigger

PROPS : 0

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/12/2009, 10:49 pm

Did you lift the front end of your truck any..I know with my 2.5 lift I had to go get an alignment and it needed it. Just looks like your truck is sitting up.
Back to top Go down
dmonge90
dmonge90

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/12/2009, 11:24 pm

I got it aligned after the lift was installed about a year ago, and maybe once or twice after that.
I'm gonna get my dad to drive my truck and see what he thinks
Back to top Go down
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/13/2009, 3:35 am

TCTundra wrote:
It's about time for me to rotate mine as well. I just hit 6000 miles on my truck (4500 on the Toyo tires).

Damn bro you gotta drive that bad boy some more. Glad to see you posting again lately.
Back to top Go down
TCTundra
TCTundra
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/13/2009, 7:43 pm

Sorry Tee...been really bowed up at work with overtime and they are limiting our internet access. With 3 kids at home, I don't have much time to surf the net unless I am at work.
Back to top Go down
http://tcpain.websitetoolbox.com/
dmonge90
dmonge90

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 1:36 am

so I had my dad drive my truck and he said it was just a lil bit that I could live with it. So I said alright.
Yesterday and today I'll have friends in my truck with me and they see how BAD it can shimmy. Its seriously horrible. I tell my dad its like that and he says its because I have aftermarket wheels. That everybody who has aftermarket wheels has some shimmy and vibrations.
It doesn't make sense to me though. If all aftermarket wheels had shimmy/vibration problems why would SO many people have aftermarket wheels.

and I really don't wanna be going back & forth from my local discount a million times. My driving habits aren't that bad, if it was because my truck was out of alignment I would be pulling to the left/right pretty bad(it does every once in a while on specific roads and sometimes winds). Then every once in a blue moon that back right tire hits a curb when turning sharply sometimes, and sometimes I can't help it just the space is tight. So that might make that tire out of round. I really don't know what to do. Its become very aggravativing. My dads telling me I'm just really picky and that everybody has the problem just many people deal with it.
Back to top Go down
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 2:46 am

Your dad is right in some sense that it's difficult to balance aftermarket wheels but if it's THAT bad as you say then something seems wrong. Just cuz everyone has aftermarket wheels it doesn't mean it's not an issue. Some ppl will put up with crappy steering as long as their ride looks cool. Not sure what to tell you but if at some point it used to not shimmy then you should be able to replicate that again. Maybe those particular tires do that after some use. Have you tried posting pics like Discount requested? And keep off the curbs....I have no mercy on you for that one. Try driving a long bed. I have not one lick of curb rash or ding/dent from handling the rig.
Back to top Go down
Shawn
Shawn
GCT ADMIN
GCT ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 10:22 am

D did you have a 4 wheel alignment done when you did your spacers? or did they just do a normal alignment?
Back to top Go down
wacked
wacked
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 10:32 am

There is supposed to be a special adapter that is used for the wheels that are on our trucks, are they using this adapter on your wheels when balancing? I'll see if I can find a picture of it, I think TC Tundra (Brad) posted a picture of it somewhere. It all has to do with our wheels being hub centric and not lug centric, if they are throwing your wheels on the balancer with the traditional cone adapter to tighten it to the machine they will never get them totally balanced . You might get with Thomas from Star Toyota and see if they can do a balance for you, the dealer is supposed to have this adapter in the shop for our wheels anyway.
Back to top Go down
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 10:45 am

Shawn wrote:
D did you have a 4 wheel alignment done when you did your spacers? or did they just do a normal alignment?

Shop said they'll align truck after lift. Do I need to tell them all 4 or they should know?
Back to top Go down
Shawn
Shawn
GCT ADMIN
GCT ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 10:58 am

I always make sure to tell them a 4 wheel. Theres a big difference.
Back to top Go down
wacked
wacked
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 11:12 am

Yea I agree with Shawn, tell the you need a 4 wheel alignment there is a BIG difference. I used to do alignments back in the day, regular alignment just adjusts the position of the front wheels, 4 wheel alignments adjust the position of the front wheels and the relationship of the front wheels to the rear wheels. This is so that when you drive down the road the rear wheels are in line with the front wheels and you go straight doing it, if it's off the rear will sit to the right or left of the front wheels and it looks funny from the rear, you may still go straight but it looks funny, it's called "dog tracking", like when some dogs run their butts kinda kick out to one side or the other.
Back to top Go down
Shawn
Shawn
GCT ADMIN
GCT ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 11:24 am

Well put.
Back to top Go down
wacked
wacked
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 11:27 am

Thanks bro, I used to pride myself in how good I did alignments, hell I was the only one at the shop that would take on the Ford Twin I beam, the old style that you had to bend to align, those were a bitch!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn
Shawn
GCT ADMIN
GCT ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 11:47 am

I cant keep mine aligned the shop never tightens everything up enough. The right side always backs off just enough to pop and move my alignment. Ticks me of so bad.
Back to top Go down
wacked
wacked
GCT DONOR
GCT DONOR

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 11:54 am

That's odd, maybe they messed something up with the eccentric when doing a past alignment?
Back to top Go down
Shawn
Shawn
GCT ADMIN
GCT ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 11:57 am

who knows...... gotta buy tires soon so will wait till then to get it done again
Back to top Go down
TXTee
TXTee
GCT MOD
GCT MOD

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty12/17/2009, 12:15 pm

Great info guys....I'll check for 4WA.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another tire&rotation   Another tire&rotation Empty

Back to top Go down

Another tire&rotation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2 Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GulfCoastTundras.com :: GULF COAST TUNDRAS HQ :: GCT SUPPORTING VENDORS :: DISCOUNT TIRE -